In today’s battle of the bedding, we’re putting memory foam and feather into the ring! Both materials are commonly utilized in a mattress, bed topper, or pillow. While they serve the same purpose, each are different in their own way. So, is one better than the other and why? Let’s find out…
- Production: Memory foam is made by taking polyurethane foam and injecting it with various chemicals to increase its elasticity and density
- What makes it so special?: Memory foam is especially a great option for those that suffer from neck and back pain as it offers maximum support and creates a neutral spine alignment. This material softens when it comes in contact with heat, making it easy to mold to your body
- Pros: Provides a unique softness, firmness, and warmth, making it a great option for those that are looking for a restful night’s sleep since it literally conforms to you
- Cons: Due to its design, memory foam retains heat much more than your average material. This can be great in the winter, but perhaps a little too warm in the summer. Since you “sink” into the material, some report that it can be difficult to move around the bed or get up because of it
- Production: Feather is a natural byproduct generally made with goose or duck feathers
- What makes it so special?: Feather products are best known for being extremely soft, light, breathable, and fluffy. Its design aids in regulating body temperature and keeps you cool in the summer and warm in the winter
- Pros: In terms of longevity, natural materials like feather usually outperform synthetics, such as memory foam. They are also cheaper in price and the shape can be altered and “fluffed”
- Cons: Unfortunately, due to the way it’s produced, feather products aren’t a good option for those that suffer from allergies because they can easily trap dust. They also lack in support compared to memory foam
Which option is better?
Like most bedding, the answer to this question really depends on the individual and their unique sleep needs. If you are one that desires extra support for pain, memory foam is definitely something to consider. However, if you are looking for bedding that is luxurious and cozy, we suggest feather. Do you think memory foam or feather is better? Comment below with which one you believe is the winner and share why!